add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need some expert opinions thanks

XiKuma
  • 57 months ago

Im building my first gaming pc, and wondering which of these routes on storage sound better. First 120 SSD for OS then later upgrade to another ssd for games when it gets low (which i know will be very quick) Second 1tb HHD for now and down the road transfer OS over to an upgraded SSD when i have the money. My main concerns are how hard is it to transfer OS over, will steam be an issue since i heard steam and steam games share the same drive. Idk maybe a slightly dumb question. Its my first build so def want as few regrets as possible. Im also hooked on the idea of having my OS on ssd for quick loads. Thank you.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 3 points

...My main concerns are how hard is it to transfer OS over...

Depending on cloning software used, should be relatively easy when cloning from small size drive to same/larger size drive.

When cloning from large size drive to small size drive, partition will likely need to be resized prior to cloning process. Results will vary depending on software used and your level of familiarity with the processes.

Considering current solid state drive prices, price per GB and performance difference, budget/pay the extra $30.00 or so for the 240-256GB solid state drives and skip 120GB.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I have some of my steam games on a separate drive as steam and some games on the same drive - both SSDs.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice thats why i asked, i read other wise. Thanks thats great to know.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds scary... do you think 120 gig will be plenty for an OS, i read win 10 will take less space. I know my droid apps updates seem to be larger than the actual app after awhile. Counting drivers and everything i will need for games/emulators would 120 seem substantial enough for win type files thx

• 57 months ago
  • 3 points

120GB is more than sufficient for current operating systems however, the question in your situation is: how much space is required for your games.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I have horrible grammar sorry lol

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

So guess another question is ssd sata 6 and hdd sata 6... is there a speed difference. I know the work different but is that a fast ssd?

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

A few months im going to get another ssd for games. So thank you for the responses seems my first route will be a good start

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Enjoy. Just keep in mind that the performance level will generally be lower/slower with the 120/128GB solid state drives.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on space used its slower, or in general because of size its slower?

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

In general because they often use different controllers for the smaller model compared to the larger, more expensive ones. Its not always true.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

...or in general because of size its slower?

Generally due to the hardware design (die configuration) of the solid state drives: TechReport

The Crucial example was used since it clearly shows performance differences. Many others do not have such extreme bad write performance.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Was wanting to go with Sam EVO 850 120gb.... seems to be the best performer out of most, i know the bigger Samsung EVO out performs the 120. O well im at my budget and soooo ready to build this pc. Im sure ive over thought the entire build. Im as confident as i can be i suppose. Thanks for feed back.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Good choice on the Samsung 850 Evo. Their smaller size drives do not get impacted as much due to their design.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube