add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Testing pc without hard drive?

XiKuma
  • 57 months ago

I was wondering i have all my pc parts except for my ssd and operating system. Wondering if it is safe to turn it on or even possible to test and make sure everything is working. Going to be a few weeks before i get the os and ssd. My first build. Thanks

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah all you can do is boot into bios - you shouldn't get any errors without a HDD, so you can make sure your CPU, gpu and memory are working. You could also boot off a USB, but you wont be able to do much

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks good to know. I would have went nutts wondering if everything was good for two weeks lol. Appreciate your response.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I know i cant do much without one, other than bios. Also that it will most likely throw some kind of error. Will i be able to tell if say everything is ok and not DOA.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

You can do plenty without a SSD/HDD, if you have a USB flash drive with a Linux distro. e.g. lubuntu :)

You can also run Memtest86+ to make sure that the RAM does not have any defects and timings are all fine. Since several passes is recommended, that means several hours for just the memory diagnostic test.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if you had all the parts, you should conduct a POST with only the essentials anyway. That means not connecting any drive(s) period during test :)

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you again you have been an awsome help. Im so glad i found this site and decided to build a pc.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube