add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is an 850W power Supply, good for a Rig that uses 526W?

Nightmarenex

49 months ago

Hi I am building my first Rig, doing quite a bit of research to make sure that everything is going to work for now and some time to come in the future without being too excessive. For a general look on things, you could say I'd rather not have to extensively upgrade this rig for 5 years and would like to game, stream, video edit and do other general day to day things (watch videos & movies).

The Soon to be Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JhzHFT

So my main question as stated in title is, will an 850W power supply be good enough to avoid any foreseeable issues in the next 5 years? From what I understand 850W+ for most builds is considered overkill given a one good GPU set up. Mine is using a 2-Way SLI 970 set up and so im curious to know from some experienced minds; if I wanted to push this thing to it's max with all the components listed in the link would the power supply be able to sustain it all. Would there be head room, would it just be enough? If it's too much in your opinion what would you recommend?

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

the psu would be fine if you oc everything with 970 SLI. can't say about the future as power consumption is pretty steady, if you go with higher end gpus they will surely consume more power than the 970's. in any case, the psu, case and thermal paste in your list are all not so good choices. furthermore, two 970's is a poor choice with the 980ti out. it performs slightly behind 970 SLI or slightly faster depending on clocks, game. resolution etc. and is around the same cost as well. I would definitely go with a 980ti over two 970's. this build has a case that was nice 5+ years ago, two mid range-ish gpus (not much growth to be had there) in SLI and a pci sound card that's probably no better at all than the onboard audio. also, at $180 for the motherboard you may as well get one that comes with wifi. this isn't a build for the next 5 years as is. in fact, Z170/Skylake will be on sale in a few weeks, I would wait on that or get X99.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube