add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would an Athlon X4 860k bottleneck a R7 370?

Master-Zixx
  • 56 months ago

Would overclocking help if it does?

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 3 points

Any CPU can bottleneck any GPU in the right conditions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-4.html

The i7-3960X is bottle-necking that HD7750 to 32FPS in Crysis 3.

(FYI, HD7750 is almost precicely HALF the core config of an R7 370).

If you want to get more out of the 860K, pair it with a GTX750 Ti instead. In compute intensive games, nvidias driver/api implementation will make better use of the 860K, raising the performance floor.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I love how this is being down-voted.

Bunch of hardware romantics here with no freaking clue.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

no....... if you overclock the 860k you can even go up to a GTX 960, R9 380, R9 280

• 56 months ago
  • 6 points

Starcraft II

Supreme Commander II

WoW

World of Tanks

RoboCraft

Crysis 3

Arkham Knight

Arma Games

DayZ

Many more....

Will all bottleneck on even much more powerful CPU's, pretty much regardless of what GPU is being used.

You're implying a mystical relationship between CPU's and GPU's that does not exist. The power of the CPU and its relationship with compute workload presented by the game engine and API/Driver implementation set the performance floor. The GPU handles the render workload, a largely adjustable workload that has primarily to do with monitor resolution. To say that a particular CPU can go "up to" a particular GPU, is complete and utter nonsense. The CPU offers the same performance floor regardless of the GPU chosen.

The 860K, offers a particular performance class in gaming, it can be used with any GPU as long as it meets the performance goals for the build.

The fact that your response has been voted up several times, reinforces a very troubling reality: Most people who participate on this forum, placate to mystical principals about hardware relationships and would rather hold fast to those false beliefs than learn something new that is far less romantic.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that with direct x 12 games will be less cpu dependant but if you look at benchmarks you will see there is still a big difference for gpu performance depending the cpu you pair them with.

You're implying a mystical relationship between CPU's and GPU's that does not exist.

I don't have to imply anything, benchmarks do that for me..

so basically what you are saying is that you would get the same performance in any game with (4690k+titan X) and a (860k+titan X) and Both would perform the same because there is no relation between the cpu you use with the gpu. that is extremely funny, thanks for the laughs.

The fact that your response has been voted up several times, reinforces a very troubling reality: Most people who participate on this forum, placate to mystical principals about hardware relationships and would rather hold fast to those false beliefs than learn something new that is far less romantic.

you should stick to this

that would be the most romantic thing, that an 860k would perform extremely well with a titan X... That would certainly put AMD where I hope it would be..

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

so basically what you are saying is that you would get the same performance in any game with (4690k+titan X) and a (860k+titan X) and Both would perform the same because there is no relation between the cpu you use with the gpu. that is extremely funny, thanks for the laughs.

That's exactly the opposite of what I am saying.

I'm saying that that the performance of the 860K is the same whether you pair it with a $100 or $1000 GPU.

The performance of the i5 is ALSO the same whether paired with a $100 or $1000 GPU.

The i5 is a better gaming CPU, with a higher performance floor than the 860K, no matter what GPU is chosen. If you want to build a gaming computer with the performance of an i5, then you have to USE the i5, regardless of the GPU selected. There's no mystical relationship here that says the i5 works best when paired with a particular class of GPU. And no mystical relationship that says the 860K works best when paired with a particular class of GPU but only "up to" some arbitrary limit.

that would be the most romantic thing, that an 860k would perform extremely well with a titan X... That would certainly put AMD where I hope it would be..

The 860K performs exactly as well with a titan X as it does with any other GPU. It will have the same performance floor regardless of the GPU chosen (caveat being where differences in driver/API implementation effect compute workload). If the performance floor of the 860K meets the performance goals for the build, and the titan X is a good match to the visual quality workload at that performance goal, then a machine with an 860K and Titan X is perfectly valid and functional.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm saying that that the performance of the 860K is the same whether you pair it with a $100 or $1000 GPU.

that is true, that the performance of any cpu will be the same for every scenario, but that is not what we are talking about. Games are more GPU dependant. If you pair a titan x with an 860k, it wont be able to perform to the max as the CPU will hold it back. That is the reason that when you pair it with an i5, the FPS will improve dramatically. I think there should be a balance between the cpu and gpu. It really doesn't make sense to buy a titan x with an 860k, better save some money and buy a cheaper GPU.

The 860K performs exactly as well with a titan X as it does with any other GPU.

but that is not the same story with the titan x.... The titan X will not perform the same with an i5 and 860k. The performance with the 860k will be mediocre, so what is happening? the 860k will hold back or bottleneck the titan x.

then a machine with an 860K and Titan X is perfectly valid and functional.

it will be functional.... but very unbalance, and the titan x will not be use at its full potential. So like I said before, it makes more sense just buying a cheaper GPU if the person doesn't need it. BUT you said there is no relation between cpu and GPU BUT there IS!!!! The GPU performs better with a better CPU, so what is the changing factor (THE CPU). So there is a relation between them. If you cannot understand this, I don't know what more can I say..

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

, but that is not what we are talking about. Games are more GPU dependant. If you pair a titan x with an 860k, it wont be able to perform to the max as the CPU will hold it back.

That statement contradicts itself.

That is the reason that when you pair it with an i5, the FPS will improve dramatically.

What if the Titan X is driving a 4K monitor? What if it's driving 3X4K monitors?

If the performance goal is high FPS, then the i5/i7 is a requirement to achieve that goal regardless of whether we are using a $100 GPU at 720P, or a whole freaking stack of $1000 GPUs at 4K.

but that is not the same story with the titan x.... The titan X will not perform the same with an i5 and 860k. The performance with the 860k will be mediocre, so what is happening? the 860k will hold back or bottleneck the titan x.

it will be functional.... but very unbalance,

What if the performance goal is 30FPS at ultra settings on a 4K 30hz display?

The 860K can easily meet that performance goal in 99% of games and conditions. The Titan X is a good match to running 4K at ultra settings at ~30FPS in many modern visually intensive games:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/9.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/12.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/16.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/17.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/18.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/19.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/21.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/22.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_X/25.html

I mean look at all these games that are GPU bound to 30-45FPS at 4K on a titan X. You're telling me an i5 would be better than an 860K for this performance and visual quality goal? I call bull.

BUT you said there is no relation between cpu and GPU BUT there IS!!!

You're completely misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying that the relationship you understand, is built on mysticism. Go back and read what I'm saying here. If the CPU meets the performance goals, and the GPU meets the visual quality goals, and both are being well utilized, then they will work together to fulfill the goals of the build just fine. You're implying that an Titan X "needs" an i5 to create a "balanced" rig. This is only true if the performance goals of the rig call for the compute performance of an i5. If the performance goals call for an i5, then you use an i5, this has absolutely nothing to do with the GPU selection. ANY GPU can be configured to achieve higher FPS unless otherwise bottle-necked by visual quality settings or CPU.

You see how it's totally ridiculous to declare that a CPU X with GPU Y is "unbalanced" based on some generalities, with no performance or visual quality goals considered?

the 860k will hold back or bottleneck the titan x.

It doesn't matter if you take that 860K and pair it with a GTX750r, or a Titan X, or whatever, the performance floor set by the CPU is the same, so if you want more performance with EITHER of these GPUs, you'd have to increase the CPU performance and reduce the visual quality settings.

The RELATIONSHIP that you seem to think exists here, is that a more expensive GPU, for some mystical reason, needs a more expensive CPU to create a "balanced" system. There is no such relationship. Given an appropriate balance of compute and render workload any CPU and GPU can be well utilized together.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgpvWc4VBM bottlenecking isnt just having an average cpu and decent GPU.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Not at all

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

You would be fine using any graphics card up to and including the R9 280, GTX 960 before a better, more powerful CPU would make a difference, and the R7 370 is not as powerful as those two cards mentioned.

I provided an article in the 'general discussion' section from PCPER that was done and found that until you got into the high end cards such as the GTX 970, R9 290x, GTX 980, CPUs such as the 860k and i3 41** series were on par with the FX 8350, i5s and i7s in gaming

Once cards such as the 970, 980 and R9 290x were used the extra power of an I5 or I7 really made a difference to the performance you could get in games.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

860k is gr8 for budget

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the game. Many games it certainly will limit your FPS. In other games, the GPU will limit your FPS. Once you get about a current gen i3 or FX-8 series, you won't see much gain in most games.

http://techreport.com/review/26977/intel-core-i7-5960x-processor-reviewed/6

That test uses an HD 7950, which is what the 280 was based on so it may be a bit better than the 370, but you can see that a lot of games do benefit from upgrading past an A10's processor which is the same as the 860k while the difference between all of the higher GPUs are much smaller.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to note, but you may find this interesting.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

No

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I have both the 860k and the r7 370. The only way to get a bottleneck affect is if u use the stock cooler on the CPU. I have used the stock cooler and have realized that the CPU is too hot and it drops on performance so I can run world of tanks at medium settings at 60idh fps

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Thats not a bottleneck, thats thermal throttle

• 50 months ago
  • 0 points

If I over clock the GPU it does next to nothing and I have come to the conclusion to never use stock coolers

[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Bottleneck = CPU 100% GPU at 20% or something like that

[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the exact same combo and works gr8 for my needs

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube