add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU for i7 4790K and R9 390X

drmagma

49 months ago

I'm planning a build with an i7 4790K and an R9 390X, and I'm not sure what wattage power supply I would need. Would 650W be too little? Would 1000W be too much? Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

650 watt would be perfect for a single gpu system with those parts. and what do y know, 1000 watts is perfect for a 390X crossfire build. 500/850 watt would do, but who wants to buy a new enthusiast class pc and be limited to running everything at stock speeds?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. thanks! Do you know if there would there be any room for overclocking the CPU with a 650W PSU or would I need to go slightly higher? I don't intend to overclock the GPU or anything else at the moment.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

the 650 watt recommendation is accounting for overclocking both. at stock this system (if you've got the standard SSD, 1-2 mechanical drives, 2-5 fans etc) will consume around 450 watts. the gpu is the biggest factor in power consumption increase as you aren't going to get more than an additional 300mhz out of that cpu in most cases unless it's a "golden" sample.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

The estimated wattage on the site isn't too bad, but add about 100 watts to it just to be safe (e.i. if it says 450W, get a 550W+ power supply). If you plan to overclock, I usually just add another 100 watts or so on top of that.

• 49 months ago
  • -2 points

The AX760 is probably the best 750W (well, 760W in this case) PSU on the market, right along with the EVGA G2 750W.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube