add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

650w/750w PSU?

mstrmind820937

49 months ago

Upgrading and I am split between the Corsair RMi series or the EVGA G2 series (other suggestions welcome). Also unsure of 650w or 750w (I'm seeing the 750w versions about £5 more) . Used for gaming with a single gtx 970 atm, but would like room to possibly upgrade this gpu later to a better single gpu.

Would also like my system quiet, so the possibility of a safe fanless or low fan speed operation helpful. IIRC the G2 has a 140mm fan and the RMi has a 135mm fan - anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

go for the EVGA 650 G2. it's a 5 pound difference for corsair RMi, making the RMi 650 a non viable psu. the 650 G2 is 20 pounds cheaper than the RM650i and is better internally. heck, for this price I'd look up the 650 p2.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

These are the prices

G2 650w £75, RMi 650w £93

G2 750w £89, RMi 750w £100

Is the G2 really better internally; didn't jonnyguru review have the RMi slightly better?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

being that the RMi has improved on the HXi I suppose they'd be even as far as internals go. the 750 G2 actually got a higher score at jonnyguru than the RM750i, with a half point deduction for placement of a wire that evga has since cleaned up. the real deciding factors here are the 10 year warranty on the EVGA and the digital link on the RM750i. both excellent units. the EVGA stands unbeatable for the cost as usual. don't know if there is a noticeable difference in sound levels as everyone with the 750 G2 claims it's silent. I know first hand the 850 G2 is super quiet at loads up to 600 watts, but it may have a different fan profile. with your specs you can run both psus in fanless mode anyway.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the benefit of the the digital link and multi-rail function?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

for these it's virtually none. multi rail is safer in the event of a short coming from a components that isn't the psu, like a motherboard with bad vrm going boom if you oc too high or a poor vrm in a videocard doing the same (GTX570, GTX590, low end AM3 mobos with tier 3 vrm hardware hiya). in this case, the psu won't have time to shut down normally as short circuit protection activates when there is a short to ground. ocp, multi rail, limits the current running through the separate wires that supply power from the +12v. this can limit overclocking of components too, but on wattage 750 there is no reason for alarm one way or the other. multi rail is pointless on units smaller than 650 watt and ocp trip points are so high on units above 650 watt that if you are limited powering any single component you are using the wrong (too small) power supply for said component in the first place. corsair link is a nice tool as long as it works.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube