add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quitest R9 390?

mstrmind820937
  • 57 months ago

As the title states. My guess is the MSI R9 390. Any owners of this gpu, could you please post stats on the following:

I'm looking for GPU temp, VRM temps, and the corresponding fan rpm and fan % if it's not too much trouble (hopefully a couple of you might be so kind to get a more accurate reading).

I've just got a 750 EVGA G2, I want a quiet GPU and deciding between a MSI GTX 970 and the MSI R9 390.

Thanks.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The Powercolor PSC+, it has a zero fan mode and runs pretty cool.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I think most brands now run a zero fan mode of some sort. I prefer to have the fans on all the time and set a custom fan curve, rather then have the fans boost up at a certain temp threshold.

I guess what I'm looking for is the most effective quiet fans when the fans are actually running. This tends to usually be the gpu with a two fan setup, the largest fans and running at the lowest rpm without sacrificing temps too much. (I guess a large heatsink as well)

For example, in the 970 series, the quietest brand I believe to be the MSI 970. It has two 10cm fans which run to a max rpm of ~2300, while keeping the card pretty cool.

If MSI has brought the same fan setup over to the R9 300 series, it might mean the fans have to run at a higher rpm seeing as AMD gpu's run hotter vs Nvidia. But without owner data, I can't verify this.

[comment deleted]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Both good brands, and the Asus is nice, but my priority is the quietest gpu.

Ideally, I would like 10cm fans and fans that spin at slower rpms, so lower noise. Can't find definitive info on this, but if the twin frozr 5 on the msi r9 390 is the same as the one on the gtx 970, then it will be 10cm. The other brands I don't know without owners input. The only info I still seek is the fan speed/rpm at gaming load.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a noise comparison with the gtx 970's. Gigabyte and MSi cards have carried over mostly the same cooler design onto the r9 3xx series. Just Asus with a different cooler. So this video is pretty relevant to concerns about noise under load.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had that video bookmarked for ages, back when I was weighing up the 970's. The MSI 970 is the quietest. It's just on one users gpuz screenshot for the MSI 390, it looks as if the fans spin up a lot higher to cope with the increased thermals. But I need a few more owners and their dat before I can confrm this.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube